The importance of social media as an advertising method and marketing opportunity is undeniable. The recent addition of the Google search function prioritising sites that are well received on Facebook has simply made it more necessary. The issue with Facebook is that you need a very high number of fans to effectively use this social media outlet as a serious marketing tool. Imagine your fandom as beginning in an empty stadium, and imagine filling it full to capacity with your Facebook fans. There are several ways that you can grow your fandom, while using Facebook to improve your page rankings and as a cross selling tool.
- Start with posting. When you first start your business Facebook page, the first step is to start posting immediately. Keep your posts short but informative, and include humour whenever possible. Make it a habit to post to Facebook several times a week. Even before your page has any fans, it is important to start with a history of posts.
- Utilise groups. Facebook offers several groups, so you will need to find groups that would be interested in your industry. Take the time to interact with them and offer help whenever possible. As you interact with them they are more likely to become a fan of your page. Use the opportunity to establish your company as an industry leader.
- Offer a motivation. It is not enough to simply talk with people via Facebook, you need to offer them a reason to become a fan and follow your newsfeed. Some companies use weekly give-a-ways, others use contests, sweepstakes, coupons or other strategies to encourage people to visit regularly. The automatic reminder function as people see the information on their wall will encourage them to participate.
- Ask for referrals. Facebook referrals are easy for people to offer, so consider tying your motivators in with your referral ask. For example, offer a discount to those that share your company link on their Facebook.
- Keep at it. It may take weeks to get your first fan, but the numbers have a tendency to skyrocket after a certain point. One hundred people can quickly turn into one thousand, but the trick is to have patience when first starting out. Give your strategy the time it needs to be successful.
If you try these tips, you will see an increase in the number of fans you have on Facebook. This will lead to increased sales and more link backs to your website. Facebook is also well regarded by search engines, so your site will naturally improve its rankings as well. Enjoy the increased opportunities offered by Facebook.