Press releases are an excellent way to spread the word about your company and get some decent search engine traffic as well.
However, you need to write them with 2 audiences in mind: the people searching for your product/service and the search engines that find your content and bring it to those people.
Here are 5 tips to writing a great press release that will get the attention of your customer and search engines.
1) Pick a good hook or angle. All great press releases tie their product/service into a current event, social issue, or trend. Nobody cares that you launched a new product or just hired a new employee, but when you relate it to a current event or trend that will get peoples attention, the power of your press release will explode exponentially.
2) Insert a quote. Are you the head of the company? Insert a quote about your product/service and how it relates to the story. Quotes get people’s attention and adds credibility to your press release.
3) Use keywords! Remember to include your main keyword you are targeting in the headline–preferably at the beginning. And have 2-3 other keywords in the body of your press release, with your main keyword in the first 1-2 sentences of your release.
4) Don’t use a bad headline. Copywriting headline rules apply, but you don’t want to appear too “salesy” since this is an informative piece. Imagine your target audience is flipping through a newspaper. Does your headline jump off the page and urge people to read?
5) Back up your story with facts. Talk is cheap unless you back up what you say with case studies and testimonials. Don’t assume people are going to automatically believe you!
There are many more, but by just implementing these tips in your next press release, you could experience a boost in the reach of your piece–which can lead to more business for you!